Wednesday, January 8, 2014

My Last Week in the MTC

Today I would like to talk about something that is some strange false doctrine that begins to spring up here amongst missionaries going to Brazil.  It is regarding visas.  People seem to believe that getting your visa is some sort of sign of the truth of the Gospel.  I often hear the phrase, "I got my visa, the Church is true." These are unconnected statements.  A member of my district was asked by another missionary if he had his visa.  He said no and that he probably wasn't going to get it while he was here (because his paperwork is not all in yet).  The other Elder then responded that he needed to have more faith.  I want to know why you should have faith in receiving a visa!  We were called to be full-time missionaries who can be assigned anywhere. Every mission is just the same in the eyes of the Lord.  So getting a visa does not make a missionary a better person, or more faithful, or more important. More likely than not, it just means his paperwork went better.  My district will probably get reassigned next Thursday. Well half of my district, because half of us got visas, including me. I will be leaving for Brazil next Monday.  

I love you all.  

Elder Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment